Skip to main content
Skip to main content.


General Info

The San Mateo County Superior Court Juvenile Branch processes all Emancipations for San Mateo County. Emancipation is freeing a minor who is at least 14 years old and under 18 years old from the custody and control of their parent or guardian and giving them some of the rights of an adult. There are three ways a child can become emancipated:

  • Get Married
    • You must obtain parental and court permission
  • Join the military
    • You must obtain parental permission and the armed forces must accept you
  • Go to court and have the judge declare you emancipated.
    • You must prove ALL of the following:
      • You are at least 14 years old
      • You can live apart from your parents and your parents consent to the emancipation
      • You can manage your own money
      • You are employed and can legally make money
      • Emancipation is in your best interest

If you have questions, more information is available in the "Emancipation Pamphlet." Forms can be found in the Judicial Council website.

2021 Emancipation Packet

The filing fee for Emancipation is the first paper fee in our fee schedule. You may also submit a Request to Waive Court Fees FW-001 and Order FW-003 for the judge to consider. Bring an Original and 1 copy of all the forms you are filing to the clerk's office:

Juvenile Branch
222 Paul Scannell Drive,
San Mateo, CA 94402 [Directions]

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.