Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Request To Be Excused

You may request to be excused if you are unable to serve as a juror because:
  • You are under conservatorship.
  • You are 70 years of age or older and have a medical condition. We excuse ONLY for the medical condition, not for age. There is NO age exemption in CA. This is not a permanent excusal.

    Please e-mail with your age AND medical condition if you wish to be excused.

  • You are responsible for the full time care of a person who is unable to care for themselves because of a physical or mental illness. You must provide a current dated doctor's letter stating the relationship of the juror to the patient (spouse, parent, or child) and state that the juror should be excused from jury duty because they are the patient's primary caregiver.
  • You are requesting a permanent exemption under rule 2.1009.
    • An applicant must submit to the jury commissioner a written request for permanent medical excuse with a supporting letter, memo, or note from a treating health care provider. The supporting letter, memo, or note must be on the treating health care provider's letterhead, state that the person has a permanent disability that makes the person incapable of performing jury service, and be signed by the provider.

Ways to Submit Your Request to be Excused

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.