Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Request Copies By Mail

Types of Case Files

The Records Management Division provides copies for these types of case files:

  • Criminal
  • Civil
  • Family Law
  • Probate
  • Small Claims
  • Unlawful Detainers (evictions)

(For copies of juvenile, and traffic case files, contact those departments directly.)

To ask for copies by mail, contact the Records Management Division:

San Mateo Superior Court
Records Management
400 County Center
1st Floor Room A
Redwood City, CA 94063

You will need to include:
  • Case number
  • Parties involved
  • Approximate date the document was filed (or a description of the document)
  • Self-addressed, postage-paid/stamped envelope
  • Blank check made payable to "Superior Court" with a "Not to exceed" amount (the most you are willing to pay) written on the memo line. We will fill in the correct amount and give you a receipt showing the amount charged.

Once we receive your request, we will reply within 30 days.

If you do not have the case number, you may search the Public Records Index. If you do not know the date the document was filed, you may search for it through our website. The Records Management Division does not research files.

  • Making a copy of any record, proceeding, or paper on file: $0.50 per side
  • Certified copy of marriage or domestic partnership dissolution record: $15.00
  • Certifying a copy of any paper, record, or proceeding on file: $40.00
  • Exemplification of record or other paper on file: $50.00
  • Comparing a copy with an original on file: $1.00 per side
  • Searching records or files, for each search longer than 10 minutes: $15.00
  • Getting any file stored off-site: $10.00

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.